Saturday, January 30, 2010

"FUELING" yourself before your round of golf.

I have heard this comment several times recently, "I lose it on the back 9" or “I run out of steam and focus towards the end of the round" How you "fuel" yourself prior, and during the round is so important. Imagine feeling your car up with the wrong type of gas, after a while your car would start to malfunction. It's the same with your body. Your body and mind need the right amount of protein and carbs. To get your through a round of golf. I remember the days I used to "fuel" up at the turn with a hot dog. I would find myself ready to fall asleep by the 13th hole, and all the time wondering what was going on. Hot dogs are in my mind the worse thing to eat during the round. It takes a lot of energy to break up all the substances in hot dog. And as far as a good source of protein or energy, it's not really a good choice.Good Choices- breakfast- eggs, fruit, oatmeal, yogurtat the turn/lunch- nuts, smoothie, veggy or chicken salad wrapI love just carrying some good trail mix or almonds and eat a few during the round. I also enjoy bananas and find them to be the "perfect" snack.I also encourage my students playing in competition, especially when it's hot, to remember to hydrate themselves days before the round. I have had people say that they drink a lot of water during the round to make sure they are hydrated. Making sure you drink plenty of water days prior to the match is most important.So, make sure you’re aware of what you’re eating before and during your day of golf and if it's not what it should be.....think of "fueling up" with the right grade!

No comments: