Friday, April 18, 2008

What so great about Hybrids?

I was recently asked "What is so great about Hybrids, everyone is talking about them?"

Their GREAT!!!

The majority of the weight in these clubs is in the back. Because there's so much more weight behind the ball, even if you hit slightly behind the ball with a hybrid, the club is going to swing on through .The best thing since sliced bread! (did I just say that?...I'm turning into my mother)

I thought I would blog and answer some questions about the club and how to use it.

What is a hybrid?

A hybrid golf club is half iron, half wood.

What does it replace?

It has replaced many of the longer irons in your bag and in my opinion the 3 and 5 wood.

Can you hit a hybrid as far as a 3 wood?

What I have found in watching people play is that the 3 wood for most people is not consistent.

While doing several playing sessions this winter, I asked students when choosing a 3 wood to hit, why? The response was, "I need to hit a long shot...I have a long way to the green" My response would be "Do you think you'll get there with this club?" They most often would answer with "will when I hit it good, I have a chance" I would then ask "How often do you hit it good?"

Their response "not very".

How can you gain confidence with a club that you don't have total belief in?

The number one goal for most of the people I teach is consistency. They want to become more consistent in their shot making. I truly believe that the hybrid is easier to hit then a 5 or 3 wood. I truly believe that anyone would have more success with it and therefore I truly believe it's the club that will allow you to become more consistent especially with the longer shots to the green. SUCCESS BREEDS CONFIDENCE!

For the hybrid, your stance width should be the same as for a longer iron. Your ball position is forward if center, but not quite so forward as it would be for a traditional fairway wood.

If your hybrid is the length of a mid iron, position it in the center.

Let me know if you have questions about hybrids by e-mailing me at hilby3@aol.com

No comments: